Rhinoplasty in Lafayette, LA
Rhinoplasty or more commonly called a “nose job,” is a popular facial surgery procedure performed on those who have larger or misshaped noses as well as functional problems that may cause breathing issues. The surgeons at Plastic Surgery Associates of Lafayette perform rhinoplasty on patients in Lafayette, LA, who want to look and breathe better.
If you are unhappy with the shape of your nose and have specific, realistic goals for improvement you may be a good candidate for rhinoplasty.
What is Rhinoplasty?
Rhinoplasty, also referred to as a nose job, improves the shape, structure, and size of the nose. Although it is primarily an elective procedure, it can also be medically necessitated to repair a deviated septum and improve nasal breathing.
Benefits of Rhinoplasty
- Correction of birth defects
- Improved breathing
- Better facial symmetry
- Improved quality of life
- Self-confidence boost
Rhinoplasty is performed with general anesthesia. Our plastic surgeons use two procedures for rhinoplasty surgeries – the closed procedure and open procedure. The specific technique used for your rhinoplasty depends on the type of correction needed.
- The closed procedure is appropriate for patients who benefit from the reshaping of the bone and cartilage. Incisions are made inside your nose. Your plastic surgeon removes and reshapes the underlying structure without disturbing the skin of your nose.
- More extensive correction requires the use of the open procedure. An incision is made in the tissue between your nostrils, known as the “columella.” After the incision is made, your plastic surgeon lifts the remaining soft tissue and skin from your nose. This allows for complete access to the structures of the nose.
During the procedure, your plastic surgeon may do the following:
- Reshape your nostrils
- Reshape, remove, and reposition bone, cartilage, and other tissue
- Correct a deviated septum
Your plastic surgeon may also harvest bone and cartilage from other parts of your nose, ears, rib, elbow, and other areas. After the incisions are sutured closed, your plastic surgeon places a splint and bandage over your nose.
Your nostrils are also packed to help control bleeding. The packs inside your nostrils do not allow you to breathe through your nose. Some patients experience anxiety when they can only breathe through their mouths. If you have this type of anxiety, please discuss your concern during your consultation appointment. Usually, the packs are removed from your nostrils within 24 hours of your surgery.
Preparing for Rhinoplasty
Be sure to arrange for someone to drive you to and from surgery, and to stay with you for at least the first night following surgery.
The splint remains in place for seven to ten days. Nose bleeds and mild discomfort are normal after your rhinoplasty. We recommend that you keep your head elevated and use over-the-counter pain medications. The symptoms resolve over time, and full healing can take several months.*
*Take note individual results may vary
What Does Rhinoplasty Cost?
We accept most insurance plans and we offer financing options through CareCredit®. The total cost depends on the procedure. After your consultation appointment, we give you a total cost that includes anesthesia, pre- and post-operative care, and other associated costs. To learn more, call our office today.
What to Expect During your Consultation
We believe exceptional patient care is a right, not a privilege. Several areas will be covered during your consultation, including:
- Your medical history
- Discussion of your concerns and goals
- Explanation of procedure and expected results
- Customized treatment plan(s)
- Applicable fees and financing information
Plastic Surgery Associates of Lafayette offers cosmetic treatments using the latest medical advances to patients in entire Acadiana region, including New Iberia, Abbeville, Lake Charles, Alexandria, Baton Rouge, New Orleans, Shreveport, and Monroe. For your private consultation, contact our office today.