When the tendons in the hand and wrist are strained or torn from injuries or chronic health conditions, movement may be limited or even impossible. At Plastic Surgery Associates of Lafayette, the surgeons treat tendon injuries with surgical and non-surgical procedures to relieve pain and encourage proper healing.
How Do I Know If I Have a Tendon Injury?
Signs that may indicate a tendon injury are the following:
- Tenderness, swelling, redness, and warm sensations that are caused by inflammation
- Pain associated with a tendon
- Odd sound or sensation when you use the tendon
- Stiffness and discomfort after of period of inactivity, such as during sleep
What Treatment is recommended for a Tendon Injury?
At-home treatments may be effective for less severe tendon injuries. These may include the following:
- Over-the-counter medications to reduce inflammation
- Ice packs
- Mild exercises and stretches
For cases that require more advanced diagnosis and treatment, our plastic surgeons may recommend physical therapy and corticosteroid injections. As a last resort, our physicians may recommend arthroscopic surgery if non-surgical methods are not producing the desired effects. Tendon injury repair surgery may involve repairing a tear in the tendon or reattaching the tendon to the muscle and/or bone.
What Happens After My Treatment for a Tendon Injury?
The first part of your recovery involves allowing your body time to heal. This includes rest and restricted use of the affected area. The pain associated with tendon injuries means that you do not use your muscles very much, so physical therapy is recommended to restore strength and movement. You tendon may be more vulnerable to damage after your treatment than before your initial injury. Your plastic surgeon may recommend that you restrict your activities to prevent future injury. Another recommendation may be to wear a special wrap to prevent straining your tendon.
What Does Treatment for a Tendon Injury Cost?
We accept most insurance including workers’ comp. The total cost of your hand and wrist operation depends on several factors. After your consultation appointment, we give you a total cost that includes anesthesia, pre- and post-operative care, and other associated costs. We also offer financing through CareCredit®. To learn more call our office today.
Why Choose Plastic Surgery Associates
- We are the premier providers for reconstruction in Lafayette.
- Our team of surgical experts are highly qualified to perform a number of different reconstruction procedures.
- We offer a personalized and individualized treatment approach.
What to Expect During your Consultation
We believe exceptional patient care is a right, not a privilege. Several areas will be covered during your consultation, including:
- Your medical history
- Discussion of your concerns and goals
- Explanation of procedure and expected results
- Customized treatment plan(s)
- Applicable fees and financing information
Plastic Surgery Associates of Lafayette offers cosmetic treatments using the latest medical advances to patients in entire Acadiana region, including New Iberia, Abbeville, Lake Charles, Alexandria, Baton Rouge, New Orleans, Shreveport, and Monroe. For your private consultation, contact our office today.